Sun., May 24, 2020 • 4:00pm PT• Live • Online
In conversation with Jaquira Díaz
Conversations with Authors is our free online event series produced with Extended Session. Sign up once with your email address and gain access to all future conversations as well as all video archives.
Gracias to all of you who participated in Sunday's conversation with Jaquira Díaz and with me.
I am sorry we didn’t get to see you or hear your voices, but I’d like to think that both of us felt your energy and cariño and presence. Also, to all who submitted questions, gracias. I hope we covered most of them or the most important.
My abuelito used to say, only eat until you’re 95% full. I used to think, That’s crazy, as I wolfed it down. I think what he meant is—perspective that comes with growing older—one should always leave a little emptiness for other things to fill.
I want it to mean that what we didn’t get to together will be an enticement to all of you to visit with us again inside the covers of books! Both these, which we mentioned, as well as the two we were celebrating tonight: Jaquira’s Ordinary Girls and my Afterlife:
- The Arabian Nights (Leather-bound Classics)
- Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman
- Selected Poems: Pablo Neruda
- A Simple Heart by Gustave Flaubert
- Death in Summer by William Trevor
- Our Souls at Night (Vintage Contemporaries) by Kent Haruf
- The Buddha in the Attic by Julie Otsuka
- Cantoras: A Novel by Carolina De Robertis
- The Complete Novels of Jane Austen
- Little Women (Vintage Classics) by Jane Austin
Take care of yourselves, keep reading and loving each other through these difficult and dark and wrenchingly tender times.
And also, a note from Jaquira
Thank you all for joining us from your homes, for reading, for supporting our work, and especially for supporting indie bookstores like Book Passage, which are such important community spaces for all of us.
It means so much to be able to celebrate the release of Julia’s latest novel, Afterlife, alongside Ordinary Girls. I hope you also have a chance to discover these as well:
- In the Time of the Butterflies by Julia Alvarez
- How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents by Julia Alvarez
- When I Was Puerto Rican: A Memoir by Esmeralda Santiago
- Beloved by Toni Morrison