Math Mammoth Grade 1-B Worktext is the student book for the latter half of grade 1 mathematics studies. It covers addition and subtraction facts, telling time to the half hour, measuring, adding and subtracting two-digit numbers, and counting coins.
Being a worktext means it contains both the instruction ("text") and the exercises for the student ("work"). The instruction is written directly to the student. This book is the full-color version (inside pages are in full color). Please note the book does not contain answers; the answer key is available separately.
- Math Mammoth focuses on conceptual understanding. It explains the "WHY", so your children can understand the math, not just learn "HOW" to do it.
- Concepts are often explained with visual models, followed by exercises using those models. These visual models can take the place of manipulatives for many children; however, it is very easy to add corresponding manipulatives to the lessons if so desired.
- The curriculum is mastery-oriented. This means it concentrates fairly long on a topic, delving into its various aspects. This promotes conceptual understanding, as opposed to spiral curricula that often tend to jump from topic to topic too much.
- There is a strong emphasis on mental math and number sense.
- It requires very little teacher preparation, which is a big benefit to most teachers/parents.: )
- The curriculum has no separate teacher's manual nor is it scripted. The introduction to each chapter has some notes for the teacher concerning the material in the chapter. All the instruction is written directly to the student in the worktext, and there also exist accompanying videos where you can see Maria herself teach the material.
- After each chapter introduction, you will find a list of Internet links and resources (games, quizzes, animations, etc.) that can be used for fun, illustrations, and further practice.