Step-By-Step Meditation for Beginners
Discuss the art of beginning meditation through the awareness of the breath, body, thoughts and feelings.
• Practice presence and mindfulness through specific guided meditations.
• Utilize the qualities of kindness, understanding, patience and love in meditation.
• Analyze the process of opening to our difficulties as the path to freedom.
• Explain the Four Noble Truths in relationship to guided meditation practices.
Have you ever thought about trying meditation, but didn't know how to get started? On Meditation for Beginners, renowned teacher Jack Kornfield uses clear language and step-by-step guidance to show us how to start—and stick with—a daily meditation practice. From the basics of how to get started to dealing with distractions, this complete course introduces us to the Insight tradition of meditation that has helped practitioners throughout the ages cultivate profound inner calm and a lasting capacity for happiness.
Available in three formats, Meditation for Beginners offers us a variety of entry points into this life-changing practice. In the DVD edition, we join Jack in a live 99-minute session that brings you the experience of a meditation retreat in your living room. With the integrated book and CD, Jack shares teachings based on the original video program plus six guided practices on audio. The two-CD audio program distills the information from the DVD and integrated book-and-CD course, providing four guided meditations for those ready to dive right in to practice. Topics covered in each program include:
How to use breathing, posture, and attention to enter the meditative state
• Simple and effective strategies for dealing with "busy brain," and other common challenges in meditation
• How meditation can help you deepen compassion, find healing through forgiveness, and dissolve your fear of death
• Four cornerstone meditations for your practice—from resting in the moment to experiencing lovingkindness, and more
With his gentle delivery and ability to translate ancient practices for modern audiences, Jack Kornfield has become one of the most accessible and sought-after teachers for helping first-time meditators get their start. Now you can begin to develop the foundational skills to start your practice immediately—and discover the life-changing power of meditation for yourself—with Meditation for Beginners.
About the Author
Jack Kornfield, PhD, trained as a Buddhist monk in Thailand, Burma, and India and has been teaching meditation internationally since 1974. He is one of the key teachers to introduce mindfulness practices to the West. He co-founded the Insight Meditation Society in Barre, Massachusetts and founded the Spirit Rock Center in Woodacre California. He holds a PhD in clinical psychology and has taught in centers and universities worldwide. Jack has led International Buddhist Teacher meetings with the Dalai Lama, worked with many of the great teachers of our time, and is a father and activist. He is co-creator of the Awareness Training Institute and has written more than a dozen books, including Meditation for Beginners; A Path With Heart; After the Ecstasy, the Laundry; and more.