Other Books in Series
This is book number 13 in the Dismas Hardy series.
- #1: Dead Irish (Dismas Hardy #1) (Mass Market): for information about purchasing this book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- #2: The Vig (Dismas Hardy #2) (Mass Market): $8.99
- #3: Hard Evidence (Dismas Hardy #3) (Paperback): $9.99
- #4: The 13th Juror (Dismas Hardy #4) (Paperback): $9.99
- #5: The Mercy Rule (Abridged / Compact Disc):
- #6: Nothing but the Truth (Dismas Hardy #6) (Paperback): $9.99
- #7: The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7) (Paperback): $9.99
- #8: The Oath (Dismas Hardy #8) (Paperback): $9.99
- #9: The First Law (Dismas Hardy #9) (Paperback): $9.99
- #10: The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10) (Paperback): $9.99
- #11: The Motive (Dismas Hardy #11) (Paperback): $9.99
- #12: Betrayal (Dismas Hardy #12) (Paperback): $9.99
- #14: The Ophelia Cut: A Novel (Dismas Hardy #14) (Paperback): $17.00
- #15: The Keeper: A Novel (Dismas Hardy #15) (Paperback): $16.00
- #16: The Fall: A Novel (Dismas Hardy #16) (Paperback): $16.00
- #17: Poison: A Novel (Dismas Hardy #17) (Paperback): $17.00
- #18: The Rule of Law: A Novel (Dismas Hardy #18) (Hardcover): $27.00
- #19: The Missing Piece (Dismas Hardy #19) (Large Print / Library Binding): for information about purchasing this book, please contact email@example.com
August 2009 Indie Next List
“John Lescroart's latest is as unforgettable as was his The 13th Juror, with killer pacing and smooth flow, a heart-in-your-throat trial, and a stunning resolution. And, behind it all, Baghdad by the Bay, a loving portrait of magical San Francisco, warts and all. Some authors are known for characters; some identified with place. John Lescroart excels at both.”
— Barbara Peters, The Poisoned Pen, Scottsdale, AZ
In a multiple murder case plagued by lies and deception, there is one terrible secret that defense attorney Dismas Hardy is duty-bound to protect. Even if the price is his client's life.
When Dylan Vogler, the charming manager of the popular Bay Beans West coffee shop in San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district, is gunned down near the store, inspectors are shocked to discover that his knapsack is overflowing with high-grade marijuana. It soon becomes clear that San Francisco's A-list flocked to Bay Beans West for more than a pricy caffeine fix.
Maya Townshend is the absentee owner of the shop--and the beautiful and extremely wealthy socialite niece of the city's mayor. When she becomes Dismas Hardy's client, he thinks it will be a simple hand-holding exercise until the police identify a suspect. But then another of Maya's past acquaintances turns up murdered, and the newspapers begin to reveal the names of the coffee shop's celebrity, political, and even law-enforcement clientele. Hardy begins to question how much his client knew about what was actually going on inside her business--and whether she was also Vogler's lover.
All the while Hardy's best friend, homicide lieutenant Abe Glitsky, sick with worry over his severely injured youngest child, barely functions at his job. Without his supervision, his inspectors are prey to the machinations of the many power brokers with interests in the case. Ambitious prosecutors close in on Maya, and as her trial gets under way, Hardy discovers that his client harbors an explosive secret. A secret that Dismas Hardy is privilege-bound to protect.
Perceptive, fast-paced, and masterfully plotted, A Plague of Secrets represents John Lescroart working at the absolute top of his game.