The Complete Works of W. H. Auden: Poems, Volume II: 1940-1973 (Hardcover)
On Our Shelves Now
Other Books in Series
This is book number 2 in the Complete Works of W. H. Auden series.
- #1: The Complete Works of W. H. Auden: Poems, Volume I: 1927-1939 (Hardcover): $60.00
- #3: The Complete Works of W.H. Auden: Plays and Other Dramatic Writings, 1928-1938 (Complete Works of W. H. Auden #3) (Hardcover): for information about purchasing this book, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- #4: The Complete Works of W. H. Auden: Libretti and Other Dramatic Writings, 1939-1973 (Hardcover):
- #5: The Complete Works of W. H. Auden, Volume 1: Prose and Travel Books in Prose and Verse: 1926-1938 (Hardcover):
- #6: The Complete Works of W. H. Auden, Volume II: Prose: 1939-1948 (Hardcover):
- #7: The Complete Works of W. H. Auden, Volume III: Prose: 1949-1955 (Hardcover):
- #8: The Complete Works of W. H. Auden, Volume IV: Prose: 1956-1962 (Hardcover):
- #9: The Complete Works of W. H. Auden, Volume V: Prose: 1963-1968 (Hardcover):
- #10: The Complete Works of W. H. Auden, Volume VI: Prose: 1969-1973 (Hardcover):
The second of two volumes of the eagerly anticipated first complete edition of Auden's poems--including some that have never been published beforeW. H. Auden (1907-1973) is one of the greatest poets of the twentieth century, and his reputation has only grown since his death. Published on the hundredth anniversary of the year in which he began to write poetry, this is the second volume of the first complete edition of Auden's poems. Edited, introduced, and annotated by renowned Auden scholar Edward Mendelson, this definitive edition includes all the poems Auden wrote for publication, in their original texts, and all his later revised versions, as well as poems and songs he never published, some of them printed here for the first time. This volume follows Auden as a mature artist, containing all the poems that he published or submitted for publication from 1940 until his death in 1973, at age sixty-six. This includes all his poetry collections from this period, from The Double Man (1941) through Epistle to a Godson (1972). The volume also features an edited version of his incomplete, posthumous book Thank You, Fog, as well as his self-designated "posthumous" poems. The main text presents the poems in their original published versions. The notes include the extensive revisions that he made to his poems over the course of his career, and provide explanations of obscure references. The first volume of this edition, Poems, Volume I: 1927-1939, is also available.
About the Author
Edward Mendelson is the Lionel Trilling Professor in the Humanities at Columbia University and the Literary Executor of the Estate of W. H. Auden. His books include Moral Agents, The Things That Matter, and Early Auden, Later Auden.