Sunday, March 29, 2015 • 8:30 - 3:00pm
$100 (Path to Publishing Members) or $150 (General Public)
Calling All Writers!
The changing book publishing landscape presents an exciting array of new and accessible publishing models. Learn what this mean for you from experts instrumental in the growth of alternative and self-publishing, as well as several Path to Publishing mentors and editors who will explain mentoring and how to prepare your manuscript for publication. The workshop fee includes lunch with the panelists and a mix-and-mingle at the close of the program.
8:30 – 9:00 am
Registration and Coffee
9:00 – 10:15 am
• Joel Friedlander, book designer and a leading expert on self-publishing, runs the popular blog at TheBookDesigner.com and is creator of the training course “Self-Publishing Road Map.”
• Jim Shubin, Jim Shubin (also known as The Book Alchemist) is an award-winning book designer at BookAlchemist.net.
10:30 – 11:45 am
Mentors on Mentoring
• Phil Cousineau, writer, filmmaker, editor, lecturer, travel leader, and TV/radio host, has more than 30 nonfiction books and 15 scriptwriting credits to his name.
• Molly Giles, short story writer, novelist and editor, won the Flannery O'Connor Award for Short Fiction for her Rough Translations, which also was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize.
• Nina Schuyler, author of two novels and whose poems, short stories and essays have appeared in major literary journals, teaches creative writing at the University of San Francisco.
12:00 – 12:55 pm
Lunch on the Patio with the Panelists
1:00 – 2:00 pm
Working with an Editor
• Pamela Feinsilber, a freelance book editor and writer, and formerly senior editor at San Francisco Magazine, edits both fiction and nonfiction.
• Nan Wiener, a freelance editor and writer, and previously executive editor at San Francisco Magazine and senior editor at Parenting magazine.
2:00 – 3:00 pm
Alternative Publishing Models
• Lisa Abellera, creative director, Reputation Books.
• Jay Hartman, founder and editor-in-chief of Untreed Reads Publishing.
• Jan Johnson is founder and publisher emerita at Red Wheel/Weiser Books and founder of the author-driven imprint Turning Stone Press.
• Brooke Warner, publisher at She Writes Press and SparkPress.
Mix and Mingle on the Patio
For questions about the workshop, finding a publishing mentor, scheduling a meeting with Sam, or to learn more about the Path to Publishing program, contact Sam Barry at email@example.com or call 415-927-0960, ext. 256.