The go-to guide for everything you want to know about international adoption
From the initial decision—Is adoption right for you?—through returning home with your child—How can you ease the transition?—The Complete Book of International Adoption takes parents step by step through the entire process of adopting a child from another country.
You will find:
• An easy-to-understand analysis of the differences between domestic and international adoption
• Advice on choosing a country, including 25 important factors to consider, such as the waiting times involved and the estimated costs for each of the top placing countries, with charts for easy comparison
• A detailed discussion of the potential health issues based on the latest research and interviews with doctors who specialize in international adoption
• Worksheets and a suggested system for preparing and organizing the extensive paperwork involved
• Parenting tips to enhance attachment and suggestions for addressing the issues that come up in raising an internationally adopted child
• Real parents’ stories and advice at every stage of the process
• Plus all of the information you need to select your agency, plan financially, prepare for the home study, travel sensibly, evaluate your child’s health and integrate your new family
More than just provide the facts, The Complete Book of International Adoption also helps parents manage the emotional rollercoaster that comes with the territory. Sensitive, wise, and often witty, this book is a must-have for any parent considering building their family through adoption.
About the Author
Dawn Davenport is a mom of four through both birth and international adoption. She is a researcher, writer, attorney, and adoption expert. She can be reached through her website at www.findingyourchild.com. She speaks at many conferences on this topic and is interviewed frequently by national media. She lives in North Carolina.