Help your child exceed the Common Core standards with the revised and updated "What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know"
Designed for use by parents and teachers, this groundbreaking first volume in the Core Knowledge Series provides kindergartners with the fundamentals they need to prepare them for a lifetime of learning. It sets out the elements a parent or educator should look for in a good kindergarten program and introduces activities that help a child take the first steps in learning to read and write. Featuring a new Introduction and filled with age-appropriate questions and suggestions that stimulate thinking and build vocabulary, this revised and updated edition of "What Your Kindergartner Needs to Know "also includes
- Favorite poems--read and recite together from Mother Goose, A. A. Milne, Langston Hughes, and more, all beautifully illustrated
- Beloved stories and fables--read aloud from "The Three Little Pigs," "The Ugly Duckling," "Cinderella," "Winnie-the-Pooh, " "The Velveteen Rabbit," and many more, including multicultural folktales from African, Japanese, and Native American traditions
- Familiar sayings and phrases--impart traditional wisdom such as "Where there's a will, there's a way" and "Better safe than sorry"
- History and geography--a friendly introduction to our world, complete with simple questions and fun activities
- Visual arts--painting, drawing, cutting, and pasting go hand in hand with learning about color and helping a child look at and talk about great works of art
- Music--many musical experiences for parents and children to participate in, along with dozens of songs to sing and dance to
- Math--lively and interesting exposure to concepts and operations that provide a springboard to later mastery
- Science--activities that let children observe, experience, and get their hands dirty while exploring the wonders of nature.
About the Author
Holdren has been a teacher of writing and literature at the University of Virginia and Harvard University, and is now Director of Research and Communications of the Core Knowledge Foundation.