After recovering in his native England from a frivolous-crime spree through the United States in "You Can Get Arrested for That," Rich Smith is back again to take another look at this great nation and its extraordinary inhabitants. In "The Great American Attraction," our young Briton--along with his new sidekick, Antony--crashes the weirdest parties, participates in the quirkiest competitions, and attends the wackiest events to find the true heart of eccentric, wonderful America. Rich is fascinated by America; and America, it seems, is fascinated with festivals, parades, and parties.
Follow Rich and Antony on their rollicking tour of the most ridiculous, outlandish, and irresistible American celebrations, including:
- The National Hobo Convention in Britt, Iowa
- The World Cardboard Boat Regatta in Heber Springs, Arkansas
- The Oklahoma State Penitentiary's Sixty-seventh Annual Rodeo in McAlester
- The World's Longest Yard Sale, stretching five hundred miles from Covington, Kentucky, to Gadsden, Alabama
- The World's Largest Machine Gun Shoot in Louisville, Kentucky
Along the way, you'll find out what Rich and Antony really think about American coins, PT Cruisers, baseball hats, dry counties, red plastic cups, "God Bless America," and our refusal to use adverbs.
About the Author
Rich Smith is the author of the chapbook Great Poem of Desire and Other Poems (Poor Claudia, 2013). His poems have appeared in Tin House, Guernica, Barrow Street, Pinwheel, and a number of other places. He grew up in Belton, MO and now lives and works in Seattle, WA.